How to Join

I. Students applying to UCLA for M.S. or Ph.D.

I do take one or two students every year, and typically look for students with backgrounds and interests in embedded computing systems and computer communications and networking. However, note that I do not make the admissions decisions; they are made my the admissions committee. Please apply directly to the university and the department (see Due to large volume of applicants, the UCLA EE department normally considers applications only for a Fall quarter start. Please do not contact me about admissions questions or ask me to evaluate your application for admission or financial support - I will ignore such emails.

If you are a prospective graduate student with prior background (projects, courses, work experience) in embedded computing systems and/or computer communications and networking, then send me a brief email with a resume as plain text or PDF file attachments. I will not open any attachment other than plain text or PDF. Please don't spam me with multiple emails. Spamming will only ensure a negative evaluation of your application by me. I will respond to your email if I am interested in your background. Otherwise, please assume that I am not interested. It is not humanly possible for me to reply to every email I receive from prospective students.

Please note that I restrict myself to the top students from the very best schools in respective countries. So if you have low GPA, have no project experience, or are from weak schools, please save some electrons.

II. Graduate students already at UCLA

If you are already at UCLA and want to explore joining NESL, then come and talk to me. Usually I consider taking students only after they have been at UCLA for a quarter or two so that I have some concrete basis to evaluate your performance. In particular I'd encourage you to take one of my graduate courses EE202A (embedded systems) or EE206A (wireless systems). The projects in these courses will give you an idea of what will it be like to be in NESL and will give me an idea of your reserch potential. I do expect a good GPA (3.8 or higher) in the EE/CS graduate courses.

III. Undergraduate students at UCLA

I do take some UCLA undergraduate student researchers in my lab as summer interns, 199 students, and as research aides. I only consider students who have a solid GPA (3.8 or higher), some advanced undergraduate coursework in relevant topics (courses such as EE16C, EE116D, EE116C, CS111, CS118, EE113/113L), and preferably some project experience. Usually the best time to start is as you enter your final year of undergraduate studies.

IV. Visiting students and interns from outside UCLA

Sorry, but I am unable to take visiting students and interns from outside UCLA, even if a student is self-supported. This is because UCLA requires significant amounts of fees to be paid for such students and there are cumbersome procedures to be followed which we are unable to do (see details), and there is a cap on number of visiting students imposed by the School. The only exception are students through formal UCLA programs such as Cross-disciplinary Scholars in Science and Technology (CSST) and Engineering Science Corps Outreach Programs. However, please do not contact us about these programs, and instead contact them directly about how to apply.

V. Post-doctoral researchers

Contact me if you wish to explore post-doc opportunities in NESL. You must have a Ph.D. from one of the top research universities in EE or CS in North America or Europe, a high-quality dissertation with a good set of publications, excellent written and oral communication skills, and seeking a post-doc to do new research and not just churn papers on your previous work.

VI. Industrial research visitors

Please see UCLA EE department's industrial affiliates program (

VII. Faculty visitors on sabbatical

Depending on mutual research collaboration interest we occasionally host faculty visitors from other top universities on sabbatical leave, but are unable to provide any funds towards such visits.