Update: I have moved to IBM Research India.
Zainul Charbiwala is a PhD candidate in the Electrical Engineering Department at the University of California, Los Angeles. He works with Mani Srivastava at the Networked and Embedded Systems Lab on energy efficient sampling and inferencing in wireless health and smart building technologies. He has most recently been working with compressed sensing.
Master of Technology in Electrical Engineering (Communication Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, 2002.
Thesis: A SIP based VoIP Phone
(done at NESL)
PhD in Electrical Enginering, UCLA, 2012.
Thesis: Energy Efficient Acquisition and Inferencing for Low Power Physiological Sensing
(done at NESL)
- IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- IEEE Transactions on Information Theory
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication
- IEEE Transactions on Sensor Networks
- Wireless Health
Energy efficient signal processing in mobile healthcare and smart infrastructure, wireless sensor networks, compressed sensing, privacy and energy efficiency.
- DoubleDip: Leveraging Thermoelectric Harvesting for Low Power Monitoring of Sporadic Water Use
Paul D. Martin, Zainul M. Charbiwala, and Mani B. Srivastava.
Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2012), November 2012. [ Details ]
- CapMux: A Scalable Analog Front End for Low Power Compressed Sensing
Zainul M. Charbiwala, Paul D. Martin, and Mani B. Srivastava.
Third International Green Computing Conference (IGCC'12), June 2012. [ Details ]
- Balancing Behavioral Privacy and Information Utility in Sensory Data Flows
Supriyo Chakraborty, Zainul M. Charbiwala, Haksoo Choi, Kasturi Rangan Raghavan, and Mani B. Srivastava.
Pervasive and Mobile Computing, June 2012. [ Details ]
- MiDebug: microcontroller integrated development and debugging environment
Chenguang Shen, Henry E. Herman, Zainul M. Charbiwala, and Mani B. Srivastava.
IPSN '12, the 11th international conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, April 2012. [ Details ]
- Filters That Remember: Duty Cycling Analog Circuits for Long Term Medical Monitoring
Zainul M. Charbiwala, Jonathan Friedman, Benjamin Kuris, and Mani B. Srivastava.
Wireless Health 2011, October 2011. [ Details ]
- Nordic Radio nRF24L01+ Power Characterization
Zainul M. Charbiwala.
July 2011. [ Details ]
- SensorSafe: a Framework for Privacy-Preserving Management of Personal Sensory Information
Haksoo Choi, Supriyo Chakraborty, Zainul M. Charbiwala, and Mani B. Srivastava.
The 8th VLDB Workshop on Secure Data Management, June 2011. [ Details ]
- Compressive Sensing of Neural Action Potentials Using a Learned Union of Supports
Zainul M. Charbiwala, Vaibhav Karkare, Sarah Gibson, Dejan Markovic, and Mani B. Srivastava.
Proceedings of the International Conference on Body Sensor Networks (BSN 2011), May 2011. [ Details ]
- A Case Against Routing-Integrated Time Synchronization
Thomas Schmid, Zainul M. Charbiwala, Zafeiria Anagnostopoulou, Mani B. Srivastava, and Prabal Dutta.
ACM SenSys, November 2010. [ Details ]
- Physiological Data Collection on Mobile Devices
Yi Han, Kasturi Rangan Raghavan, Zainul M. Charbiwala, Haksoo Choi, and Mani B. Srivastava.
Center for Embedded Networked Sensing (CENS) 8th Annual Research Review, October 2010. [ Details ]
2011: Won Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship Contest for the year 2011-2012
2010: Received Dissertation Year Fellowship for the year 2010-2011
2009: Received Qualcomm Research Fellowship for the year 2009-2010
2008: Won Best Paper Award at SenSys’08
2008: EE UCLA Fellowship for continued academic achievements
2008: Won the DAC/ISSCC 2008 Student Design Competition Award
2007: Topped PhD Preliminary exam. Awarded extension of Fellowship for the same
2006: Received Henry Samueli Fellowship at EE UCLA for the year 2006 – 2007